Showing all 13 results
Button 3 Watt Blue Frosted Glass Soffit LED Downlight£25.78) (inc. vat Add to basket
Button 3 Watt Warm White Frosted Glass Soffit LED Downlight£25.78) (inc. vat Add to basket
Button 3 Watt Cool White Clear Glass Soffit LED Downlight£25.78) (inc. vat Add to basket
Onyx 6 Watt Black LED Tilting Soffit Downlight Fitting£34.02) (inc. vat Add to basket
LBL183 5 Watt Round Black Surface Mounted Soffit LED Downlight£45.60) (inc. vat Add to basket
Onyx 9 Watt Black Tilting Soffit LED Downlight Fitting£52.92) (inc. vat Add to basket
LBL186 5 Watt Square Black Surface Mounted Soffit LED Downlight£53.10) (inc. vat Add to basket
LBL249 12 Watt Round Black Surface Mounted Soffit LED Downlight£69.00) (inc. vat Add to basket
LBL184 12 Watt Round Black Surface Mounted Soffit LED Downlight£73.44) (inc. vat Add to basket
LBL250 20 Watt Round Black Surface Mounted Soffit LED Downlight£83.82) (inc. vat Add to basket
LBL187 12 Watt Square Black Surface Mounted Soffit LED Downlight£106.21) (inc. vat Add to basket
Shop with Confidence
Great Lighting Ideas To Make Your Home Stand Out
When it comes to lighting, there seems to be an infinite number of ways to decorate your home. For every unique type of interior light available, there are just as many exterior lights to choose from, including exterior downlights. Even in those categories, they can be broken into both surface mounted and recessed lighting.
Exterior illumination such as under eaves lighting can add some serious curb appeal to your home. At night, it offers a more modern and sophisticated look, bringing out all of the contemporary style opportunities your home has to offer.
It can also give it a more welcoming atmosphere with ample illumination along the sides of the house leading the way to the door. This type of lighting can be planned around existing garden lights as well to ensure a well-lit outdoor space from start to finish.
For these reasons and more, when you’re looking to incorporate outdoor lighting, exterior soffit lighting is an excellent place to start. Below, we’ll go more in-depth about the benefits of LED soffit lights. We will also answer some of your most commonly asked questions, so you can make a better informed decision when shopping for your lights.
What Are LED Soffit Lights?
LED soffit lights, otherwise known as under eaves lighting, are a type of external LED downlights. This style of light is positioned around the property, nestled beneath the eaves. From this position, they shine illumination downward, offering plenty of light to see by. They also serve a decorative purpose, creating an inviting and aesthetically pleasing look.
From the first glance at your home at night, such lighting will instantly make it stand out among others in the neighborhood. Not only this, but lighting provides an extra level of security at night. This can make your home feel more inviting and welcoming.
What IP Rating Should LED Soffit Lighting Be?
Because home soffit lighting comes in the form of outdoor LED downlights, they need to be resistant to weather damage. IP ratings help give you peace of mind against water damage at the very least. With this in mind, it is a good idea to choose soffit lighting with an IP65 rating.
IP65 rated lights are waterproof, so the fixtures are properly sealed to keep water and moisture out. Without having IP65 rated exterior lights of any kind, you run the risk of water damage which could mean spending a lot of money and time replacing them constantly.
How To Combine Under Eaves Lighting With Your Other Garden Lighting
When you install under eaves outdoor lighting, you don’t have to give up the other types of garden lighting within the space. Instead, this lighting can be used to complement the other garden lighting around it, offering a fuller, streamlined appearance.
Under eave lighting can be used to your advantage to help avoid any dark areas in the garden; all you have to do is plan the soffit lighting with the garden lighting to achieve the desired results.
Do LED Soffit Lights Require Any Maintenance?
One of the many perks of LED soffit lights is that they need very little upkeep and maintenance compared to conventional lights. Part of this is owed to the minimum rated life of an LED, which tends to be 20,000 hours. Compared to the 1,000 hours afforded by a regular bulb, you won’t have to replace them nearly as frequently.
Instead, you may find that all you have to do is some cosmetic cleanup, like dusting here and there to remove cobwebs and debris. Occasionally, you will want to check the fittings and be sure they are still well-sealed. By ensuring that moisture isn’t able to get behind the lights every so often, you can properly protect them from damage and limit the number of times you need to repair or replace them.
It is generally thought that having a spacing of two metres between lights on a single-storey home will give you plenty of light. Even so, the amount of external lights that you will need is a matter of personal taste and individual needs of your home. Deciding this will depend on a few factors, including:
- HEIGHT OF THE SOFFIT. Consider how high up the soffits are. If you want to install them on a low building, you might not need many lights at all; the illumination has less of a distance to shine down, meaning fewer lights can cover more area at once.
- STYLISH EFFECT. What aesthetic appeal are you hoping to create? Would you prefer light beams overlapping one another to give complete coverage of the area? Does having single-focused beams of light shining separately sound more appealing to you? One will require more lights than the other, so this is a major decision to be made at the very beginning stages of planning the project.
- CONSIDER THE ANGLES. Typically, soffit lights will shine a wide beam angle of at least 30 degrees. Knowing this, you can whip up some rough drawings using calculations to estimate just how many you may need to have.
- The number of lights you need to have may be directly proportionate to the wattage of each of them. Pay attention to the wattage amount of each bulb and the subsequent number of lumens emitted when choosing your lights.
Some soffit areas are designed with plenty of room to install recessed lights, while others simply are not wide enough to accommodate them. Before deciding on your recessed lighting, you’ll need to check the eaves and soffits around the property. Be sure that there is a void behind them before you try installing exterior recessed lighting in soffits.
If there is not enough room, you won’t be able to sink them into the eaves. Instead, you’ll need to use surface mounted lighting. Fortunately, you can still achieve the spaced effect of recessed lights using the right kind of soffit light.
Some homeowners even prefer surface mounted lighting to recessed lighting for aesthetic reasons; certain kinds of light installations benefit from surface lighting as opposed to recessed lighting.
At the end of the day, even if you have enough room for recessed lights, you aren’t obligated to use them. The best soffit lights for you could simply come down to personal design choices.
Much like any other kind of lights, external LED downlights come in a number of different wattages. As a general rule, you can expect that one watt of LED light will output between 80 and 100 lumens. To apply this to real world wattage amounts, consider the following:
- A 3-watt LED bulb is the equivalent of a halogen bulb with 25 to 30 watts.
- A 5-watt LED bulb is the equivalent of a halogen bulb with 45 to 50 watts.
- A 9-watt LED bulb is the equivalent of a halogen bulb with 60 watts.
Simply put, you don’t have to sacrifice the brightness of a halogen bulb to reap the benefits of an LED light. The only thing that truly changes is the reduced energy output, which is a perk. LEDs can shine as brightly as halogen bulbs but with 80 percent less energy needed.
Some projects around the house can be tackled by a DIY enthusiast, but lighting of any kind is not one of them. Because of the intricate aspects of light installation and the dangerous element of electricity, it isn’t a good idea to take it into your own hands. You should always get the assistance of a qualified electrician to install outdoor soffit lights for you.
There are many reasons that one might choose to use outside LED downlights besides their primary purpose of illumination. Below, you’ll find some of the most popular reasons among them:
- ENERGY EFFICIENT. LED soffit lights are remarkably energy efficient. Because of this, you’ll save plenty of money on your electricity bill, even if you plan to keep them lit all night long. They consume much less power since no filament needs to heat up, and no energy is wasted. In fact, up to 85 percent of the energy is saved compared to typical halogen bulbs.
This can help counteract the current state of energy bills, which are steadily increasing. Their energy efficiency may also help you lessen your impact on the environment as they do not have any toxic chemicals in them; if you break a bulb, they won’t leak anything into the environment.
- SUPER BRIGHT. With energy efficiency in mind, LED bulbs consume 85 percent less energy than a halogen bulb. Even so, they can shine just as brightly.
- EMIT LITTLE HEAT. This type of lighting does not produce much heat at all. In this way, they don’t pose any sort of fire risk, even when left on for long periods.
- LONG-LASTING LIFE. Exterior LED downlights for soffits naturally have a long lifespan. Their energy efficiency helps conserve energy, which helps them burn a longer time. You’ll be able to save plenty of time and money on replacement lights when you choose long-lasting soffit lights.
- Typically, LED lights can last 15,000 and 150,000 hours. Generally speaking, you can expect LED lights to last 10 times longer than standard halogen bulbs.
- ELEVATED STYLE. From the moment you turn your soffit lights on at night, you will be adding curb appeal. These lights can enhance the overall look of your home’s exterior while also outlining the silhouette. This will give the home a stylish and contemporary look.
- ENHANCED SAFETY AND NIGHTTIME SECURITY. Having soffit lights will illuminate areas directly around the home. This includes areas close to the walls, such as walkways and other pathways. Such lights will make it easier to navigate the outdoor areas for you and your guests.
Furthermore, a well-lit exterior can serve as an additional security measure; people are less likely to approach a house with ill-intentions if there are no shadowy places for them to hide.
Outdoor exterior soffit lighting is a great way to add curb appeal to the exterior of your home. Not only does it instantly give the exterior a more modern look — it also enhances nighttime safety and security.
Perks extend far beyond the appearance of LED bulbs. They are far more energy efficient than their standard halogen bulb counterparts. Because of this, they can save you plenty of money on your energy bills while also limiting your carbon footprint.
LED lights retain their brightness even though they need less energy to accomplish this. You can expect them to shine between 15,000 and 150,000 hours, with most enjoying a minimum rating of 20,000 hours. In this way, you won’t have to constantly be replacing these bulbs. Once you have them in, you can expect them to bring with them all of their many benefits for years to come.