External spike lights, also called garden spike lighting, is a type of landscape lighting that is designed for use in your garden. They come in different sizes from tall posts to short spotlights. Between the different kinds of lights, you can illuminate your outdoor area in a variety of ways. In this article, we will look at some of the ways you can use garden spike lights. We will also put forth a few tips on deciding on the best spike lights for your unique space.
How can you use garden spike lighting?
One of the most versatile types of landscape lighting, spike lights can be used in a wide variety of ways:
- LIGHTING PATHS. You can line footpaths that wind through the garden with spike lights to help lead the way through. You can also use them on walkways that lead up to the entrance of your home.
- ILLUMINATING SPECIAL GARDEN FEATURES. If you have a feature such as a water fountain you want to light up at night or a statute or special planting you are proud of, these lights can draw attention to the object.
- ADDING COMFORT TO SITTING AREAS. If you have a standalone seating area with chairs and a table to gather around in the garden, external spike lights can keep it well-lit. You can place spike lights around the area or use them to shine a light more directly onto the area.
How To Choose the Best Landscape Lighting
When planning the illumination for your outdoor living space, there are a few factors to take into account:
- Because garden spike lighting can be every bit as decorative as it is practical, how the lights look matters. There are different styles of spike lights to choose from, including tall and skinny posts or short, stout spotlight-style lights. Depending on what you’re using them for, one may be better than the other. For instance, tall spike lights may be the way to go when lighting a footpath through a garden, while spotlights are better for illuminating a certain garden feature.
- IP RATING. Because the light is outdoors and exposed to the elements, be sure that the light you choose has an IP rating that makes it waterproof or at least water resistant.
- In a similar way, the material of the light is important if you want to avoid having to replace the lights every so often. Consider a light that is crafted out of either steel or aluminium for the longest-lasting results.
External spike lights go a long way toward your overall landscape lighting and improving the appearance of your outdoor living space and garden. Using garden spike lighting, you can do many things, such as light a footpath, highlight a special garden feature or supply illumination for garden seating. In this article, we explored some of the many uses of external spike lights. We also provided a brief buying guide that you can refer to when shopping our collection of landscape lighting.