Bollard light fixtures are basically posts with a light mounted on the top or hangs from an outcropping at the top of the fixture. Outside bollard lighting can server a variety of uses for homes, business and even parks and recreation areas.
Bollard light fixtures are mounted on the ground and provide lighting for various areas of your property. Here are some of the places that post lights are used.
- Along Walkways- Outside bollard lighting is often used along walkways to light up the walkway to leading a home or a business. They may also be used along the pathway or walkway of area parks so that people strolling in the park after dark can see the path and easily follow it. In areas where a walkway may boarder a river or other water, bollard lights are placed along the walk near the water to help prevent people from veering off the path and into the water.
- Around the Parameter of Parking Lots- Some business owners place bollard light fixtures around the parameter of parking lots to ensure that customers park in the lot and not on the grass. They also provide a margin of safety for people going to and from the parking lot.
- Along the Drives of Recreation Areas or Parks- Many recreation parks that contain baseball and soccer fields, tennis and basketball courts have driveways that wander through the park to the various areas. Bollard light fixtures placed along the drive serve as a warning to children where cars may be travelling after dusk.
What Type of Bollard Lighting Should You Choose?
If you are planning on having bollard lighting installed outside your home, business or a local park or public area they you want to know what type of lighting is best suited for the use. Most people find LED bollard lighting best meets their needs for several reasons. Here are just a few of those reasons:
- LED outside bollard lighting is durable. LED lighting can withstand cooler temperatures than more traditional types of lighting making these light more reliable than incandescent of fluorescent lighting for outdoor use.
- LED lighting is energy efficient- If you have a big project and need a lot of bollard light fixtures then LED lighting energy efficiency can save you significant money on your energy bill since LED lights use only about 50% of the energy of those more traditional lights.
- LED Post Lights are long-lasting- LED lighting last longer than more traditional lighting choices with these lights lasting between 20,000 and 70,000 hours before they need changing unlike incandescent light bulbs that last only 1000 dollars or less.
- LED lights are less harmful to the environment- LED lighting is energy efficient which means that they make less demand on energy facilities than more traditional lights. These lights are 100% recyclable meaning they won’t end up in local landfills.
Since LED lighting does need to be hard wired into your 240 electric main then you really need to have your bollard lighting fixtures installed by a licensed electrician.